Monday, October 26, 2020

Double Indemnity: Frame Analysis

 







            The director is trying to show you that Walter’s the main focus of the frame because he is the tallest which demonstrates his power over both Phylis and Keys because I feel like Walter knows everything that is going on, while Phylis and Keys only knew partial parts about what was happening. After Walter I feel like my eyes go to Keys after because of how the lighting is on the left 3rd of the screen. My eyes are also drawn to Walters shadow on the right 3rd of the frame, and I believe that the directors intention for this was Walter was talking to Keys about trying to find Phylis, even though he clearly knew if he made one wrong move his cover would have been blown. His shadow indicates where his true loyalties lie, and that Keys is just too close to Walter to figure out what is going on. Phylis’s body language also indicates how scared she is that their entire plan could be jeopardized in a matter of seconds. I feel like I am also a bit drawn to Walter drinking. I believe the director added this detail to make it seem more convincing that he was just casually talking to Keys, however in reality he was praying that Keys wouldn’t look behind the door. Additionally, when I look at Keys I see the way his arms are positioned, along with the way he is standing it is safe to say that he really trusts Walter and would have never expected him to be conspiring against him. Which is yet another reason on how Walter knows the entire story while each Phylis and Keys are somewhat in the dark.






No comments:

Post a Comment